Is there a right way to wash? Just splatter some water, use a product, and you’re good to go. As the skin changes and technology advances, washing your face may not be as straightforward as you think. The skin is the largest organ of the body and helps to protect and regulate. You may be abusing the skin without knowing it. It is important to reevaluate your skin care routine and see if you’re doing it right. Don’t head to the sink without these tips:
- Don’t Overdo it. Washing too much can age your skin. It is recommended to wash only twice a day. Once in the morning when you wake up and once before you go off to bed. Washing more than twice a day irritates the skin and lead to over production of oil.
- Unclean Hands. If your hands aren’t clean before washing your face, it defeats the purpose of washing. Sweat and bacteria from your hands will be transferred to the face. Always wash hands thoroughly with an anti-bacterial soap before washing your face.
- Water Temperature. Many people believe that hot water open pores and cold water closes them. Pores do not have muscles to open and close. Water that is too hot or too cold will irritate the skin. Lukewarm water is the best way to cleanse effectively.
- Exfoliation. Exfoliating is necessary and a healthy way to remove dead skin cell. The skin is very delicate; exfoliating everyday is too harsh for the skin. It can cause patches of dryness, irritation and redness. Choose a gentle scrub to exfoliate only twice a week. Always use your fingers instead of a wash cloth to exfoliate and prevent damage to the skin.
- Cleansers. Do not use soap to cleanse your face. Soap strips the skin of natural oils and causes irritation. No matter if you have oily or dry skin, use a calm cleanser that lifts excessive oil without leaving the skin dry or tight.
- Facial Wipes. It’s easy, quick and convenient to cleanse with facial wipes but don’t replace your regular cleanser with it. Facial wipes contain chemicals that dissolve makeup and aggravate the skin. Facial wipes should only be used if you’re on the go and for the gym. Whenever using a facial wipe do not forget to cleanse when you get home.
- Towel. Always pat never rub. Rubbing yanks and pulls the skin, which puts your elastin at risk. Elastin is similar to a rubber band. It helps our skin to maintain its shape. Do not use the same towel to shower on your face. Put aside a soft, clean towel just for face.
- Makeup Removal. Never go to bed with makeup on. Makeup clogs the pores and prevents sebum from doing its job. Sebum is a natural lubricant the skin makes to moisturize and remove dead skin cells. When you sleep, the skin renews itself. For the skin to renew itself, the pores must be clean and unclogged. Always remove makeup before bed (even the eye makeup). Sleeping with eye makeup can cause irritation or infection.