Getting Stung and When to Seek Help

Time spent outdoors is time shared with bees, hornets, wasps, fire ants and yellow jackets – and their stingers. Most people are not allergic to insect stings; however, many are unaware of the difference between a normal reaction and an allergic reaction to getting stung. Can you distinguish between the two?

Typical Reaction to Insect Stings

There are actually two categories of non-allergic reactions to insect stings – normal and localized. A normal reaction causes swelling, pain and redness around the site of the sting. A localized reaction will include swelling that extends past the site of the sting; for example, getting stung on the ankle may cause the entire leg to swell. While the appearance of a localized reaction may be worrisome, it is no more dangerous than a normal reaction.

Allergic Reaction

Mild allergic reactions to insect stings may result in pain, swelling, itching, redness and/or warmth at the site of the sting. Severe allergic reactions to insect stings – also known as anaphylaxis – are relatively rare; however, it is important to understand the symptoms. Anaphylaxis may cause anxiety, dizziness, wheezing, a quickened pulse, and/or hives. Allergic reactions typically require an injection of epinephrine to prevent complications.

Still Feeling the Sting? Contact Us Today!

If you are not recovering properly from an insect sting, contact us today to schedule a consultation. At Advanced Dermatology, PC, our board-certified dermatologists are experts at diagnosing and treating a wide range of skin conditions. Our conveniently located offices welcome patients from Queens, Long Island (Nassau County and Suffolk County), New York City, Bergen County, NJ, Union County, NJ, and all surrounding areas.

Related Media