The Smooth Touch in Skin Renewal
Your doctor has an exciting new tool for collagen remodeling of the skin. The revolutionary Smoothbeam diodebased laser system from Candela Corporation is designed specifically to help remove periorbital wrinkles and you help renew your skin and feel better about your appearance. Smoothbeam uses a patented LASR (laser assisted skin renewal) process that combines two unique elements.
- A gentle laser that stimulates the formation of new collagen beneath the surface of your skin.
- Proprietary Dynamic Cooling Device, which cools and protects the skin surface.
A New Approach to an Aging Problem
What Skin Conditions does the Smoothbeam laser treat?
Smoothbeam helps to renew skin by stimulating the generation of new collagen formation of the skin.
Who is a good candidate for skin renewal laser treatment with Smoothbeam?
You are a good candidate for Smoothbeam treatment if:
- You are interested in improving the appearance of your skin
- You want to start a “Fitness” program for your skin
- You are seeking to postpone more aggressive treatment, such as surgery
How does Smoothbeam work?
Smoothbeam laser treatment is a new, noninvasive way to treat your skin.The laser employs a revolutionary, patented LASR™ (laser assisted skin renewal) process which with DCD™ (Dynamic Cooling Device), targets and heats collagen in the upper dermis while protecting the epidermis. stimulating new collagen formation.
How long does a Smoothbeam treatment take, and how many treatments will I need?
A typical treatment will take between 10 and 30 minutes. Depending on the degree of aggressiveness you and your doctor decide on, your treatment can be a “lunchtime”procedure, in which you can go right back to work, or more aggressive treatment, in which there will be a brief recuperative period. Consult with your physician about your treatment schedule and interval between subsequent treatments.
What will the procedure itself be like?
You and your doctor will wear safety glasses to protect your eyes during the procedure.The doctor will use a small handpiece with a probe that touches your skin to deliver the laser light.You will feel the light spray of coolant onto your skin just before each laser pulse.
Is there any pain involved in laser treatment with Smoothbeam?
Because the laser’s Dynamic Cooling Device is so effective, many patients report the rocedure as “mild,” with little more than a slight snapping or tingling sensation. Of course, pain is subjective, and topical anesthetics can be used if the patient wishes.
What results can I expect from treatment?
Although results vary, you should discuss your expectations with your doctor.
How long before I see results?
Several treatments may be required, depending on anatomical location and the extent of desired results.
What precautions should be taken before and after treatment?
Avoid sun exposure for 4-6 weeks before treatment, and again after treatment until your physician allows it. Care should be taken in the first few days following treatments to avoid scrubbing or rinsing the treated area with abrasive skin cleansers.
Are there any side effects to treatment with Smoothbeam?
In general, most procedures have a low risk of side effects.More aggressive treatments might induce some temporary discoloration or reddening of the skin. Some patients might experience pigment changes in skin color. If this occurs, the skin will typically return to normal pigmentation over time.
Is this procedure covered by insurance?
Most insurance companies do not offer reimbursement for cosmetic procedures; however, you should consult your insurance provider for specific information.
|The Smoothbeam 1450nm diode laser is the first device specifically designed to target the root cause of acne, the sebaceous gland. It provides the perfect balance of controlled cooling of the epidermis with precise heating of the upper dermis. And for patients seeking smoother skin, Smoothbeam safely improves acne scars and softens fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes.|
Advanced Diode Technology – Provides superior reliability, portability and simple set up and use with standard 115 VAC power requirements.
Patented Epidermal Cooling – Candela’s Dynamic Cooling Device represents an adjustable epidermal protection technology to maximize patient safety and comfort.
Affordable – Smoothbeam is the value-added service that can take your practice to the next level with a rapid and substantial return on your investment. Designed to be portable, Smoothbeam can be moved between multiple office locations or from one treatment room to another.
- Acne & Acne Scars – Clear skin is right around the corner. Treat acne with Smoothbeam – the only laser clinically proven to target acne at the root cause
- Dermal Remodeling – Smooth away wrinkles to restore skin’s youthful appearance
- Sebaceous Hyperplasia – Quickly and effectively reduces or eliminates the nodules associated with this condition, with minimal patient downtime.
Smoothbeam Studies and Publications
"Smoothbeam Diode Laser for Periorbital Dermal Remodeling." By Wichai Hongcharu, M.D. This study discusses the results with the Smoothbeam in treating Asian skin for wrinkles.
"Smoothbeam Non-Ablative Treatment of Periorbital Wrinkles." By Luigi L. Polla, M.D. This study discusses the advantages of using the Smoothbeam for the treatment of wrinkles over other non-ablative lasers.
"Smoothbeam Non-Ablative Dermal Remodeling Using a 1450 nm Diode Laser." By David J. Goldberg, M.D. This study discusses the 1450 nm diode laser as a safe and effective treatment of periorbital rhytides with minimal to no recovery process for the patient.
"The Contributions of Smoothbeam to Our Skin Rejuvenation Practice." By H. Michael Miller, M.D., and Robert B. Seltzer, M.D. The Smoothbeam and Vbeam pulsed dye laser are discussed as an adjunct to IPL treatments for skin rejuvenation. Combination laser treatments are providing better results.
"New Frontiers in Acne Therapy." By Jason Lupton, M.D. This study discusses the advantages of using the Smoothbeam for the treatment of acne and acne scars.
"Overview of Acne, Current Therapies, and a Promising New Laser Alternative". Experience suggests that treatment of acne using the Smoothbeam represents a major advance in the treatment of acne.
"1450 nm Diode Laser with Dynamic Cooing: A Novel Approach for Acne Treatment". By E.V. Ross, M.D., M.A. Blair, M.D., B.S. Graham, M.D.,D.Y. Paithankar, Ph.D, and B.A. Saleh, M.Eng. This paper discusses the results of a clinical study for the treatment of acne vulgaris on the backs of males with the Smoothbeam laser combined with cryogen spray cooling.
Published Article 1
Paul M.Friedman, M.D., Ming H. Jih, M.D., PhD, Arash Kimyai-Asadi, M.D., and Leonard H. Goldberg, M.D., "Treatment of Inflammatory Facial Acne Vulgaris with the 1450-nm Diode Laser: A Pilot Study", Dermatologic Surgery, 2004;30:147-151. This is the first published report documenting the safety and efficacy of laser treatment for inflammatory facial acne.
Published Article 2
Dilip Y. Paithankar, PhD, E. Victor Ross, M.D., Bilal A. Saleh, MEng., Mark A. Blair, M.D., and Bradley S. Graham, M.D., "Acne Treatment With a 1,450 nm Wavelength Laser and Cryogen Spray Cooling", Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 31:106-114 (2002). The studies reported here demonstrate the feasibility of treating acne using a photothermal approach with a mid-IR laser and cryogen cooling.
Published Article 3
David J. Goldberg, MD, Arlene S. Rogachefsky, MD, and Sirunya Silapunt, MD, “Non-Ablative Laser Treatment of Facial Rhytides: A Comparison of 1450 – nm Diode Laser Treatment with dynamic cooling as opposed to treatment with dynamic cooling alone” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 30:79-81 (2002)
Published Article 4
Elizabeth L. Tanzi, MD, and Tina S. Alster, MD, “Comparison of a 1450 nm Diiode Laser and a 1320nm NDYAG Laser in the Treatment of Atrophic Facial Scars A Prospective Clinical and Histologic Study”American Society for Dermatologic Surgery 2004; 30:152-157
Our Doctors in the News
- Which Age-Defying Method Is Right for You?
- How to look your best during each decade of your life.
- Lasers Aint Just For Luke Skywalker Anymore
- SKIN SIGNS OF AGING AND WHAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT THEM: Leading dermatologist Dr. Joshua Fox discusses symptoms & solutions.
- LASER TREATMENTS FOR YOUNGER-LOOKING SKIN
- New Painless Treatments for Varicose Veins
- THEY’RE NOT YOUR MOTHER’S VARICOSE VEINS
- HEALTH: SCLEROTHERAPY AND LASER THERAPY TREATMENTS FOR VARICOSE VEINS
- FOR BEAUTIFUL LIPS, A HOST OF SIMPLE AND SPEEDY PROCEDURES IS AVAILABLE
- Pulse-dye Treatment Eliminates Stretch Marks
- New Laser Technique Takes Aim To Make Stretch Marks Disappear
- Fresh Meadows Doctor Develops Laser System for Stretch Marks
- Treatments or Remedies to Reduce Fade or Rid Stretch Marks and Prevention
- WRINKLE REDUCTION
- COSMETIC PLASTIC SURGERY PROCEDURES INCREASE.
- Skin Care in Your 40s
- FALSE EXPECTATIONS FOR COSMETIC PROCEDURES
- VIEW MORE OF OUR DOCTOR’S IN THE NEWS ARTICLES
- UNIQUE LASER TREATMENT GIVES ACNE AND SCARRING A “ONE-TWO PUNCH”: SmoothbeamTM offers non-ablative approach to reducing acne breakouts, plumping scars.
- ZAPPING ZITS: Expert Discusses Non-Medication Treatments for Acne.