Finding a Dermatologist in Manhattan (Upper East Side and Upper West Side)
With the multitude of dermatologists available in Manhattan, it may be harder than usual to identify who is the right one for you. The tips and tricks provided her will help you find the right Manhattan dermatologist!
Before we discuss how to find the right one, we should first discuss exactly what dermatologists treat patients for. Dermatologists are able to examine, treat and diagnose a multitude of skin, hair and nail conditions, for patients of all ages. Certified dermatologists receive training in a number of areas including:
- Medical Dermatology
- Surgical Dermatology
- Cosmetic Dermatology
Medical dermatology includes many conditions, some you typically associate with dermatologists and some you may not have thought your dermatologist could treat. Some of these include:
- Contact Dermatitis
- Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis)
- Skin Cancer
- Dry skin
- Fungal infections
- Moles, growths and bumps
It is important to note that seeing a dermatologist on a yearly basis is extremely important, especially for detecting, treating and ultimately avoiding skin cancer. So how do you go about finding that dermatologist you’d actually like going back to see year after year?
There are some traits people typically look for in a dermatologist:
- Overall customer service – When visiting a physician’s office you want to have a good experience from start to finish. This means good customer service from everyone in the office including: front desk, medical assistants and of course your dermatologist.
- Physician’s Sex – Many people prefer to see someone of the same sex or opposite, it all depends on your preference and how comfortable you feel. You can always request a specific dermatologist when you initially make your appointment.
- Bedside manner – As mentioned before you want to experience good customer service. Part of this is a physician’s bedside manner, in other words how the doctor treats their patients.
- Good Diagnostician – Getting it right is always important, be sure to choose a physician who has had a history of correctly diagnosing patients.
- Range of Services – It is important to know exactly what a dermatologist’s office offers before making an appointment. Let’s say your upcoming appointment is to check your eczema flare-up, who’s to say that you wouldn’t want lip fillers or another cosmetic treatment in the future. You want to know that your dermatologist covers a broad range.
- Facility – Making sure the physician’s office is clean and orderly is important for your health and safety.
- Board Certification
- Experience – Checking the website of the dermatologist or the practice can help you gain more knowledge about the overall work experience that particular dermatologist has.
Referrals over ratings
Today, there is a large emphasis placed on ratings and reviews online. Before sorting through pages of reviews from people you don’t know – go to the ones you do! Get recommendations from friends and family, but more importantly your primary physician. Their office should be able to provide you with a list of dermatologists in the Manhattan area.
Another way of finding a doctor in a specific area, in this case Manhattan, is checking your insurance physician directory. This is a great way for you to instantly know that the doctor you are seeing takes your insurance, whether you will need a referral from your primary doctor and get contact and location information for that dermatologist.
Consider using websites like ZocDoc that allow you to search for doctors by specialty, location and insurance plan. Simply click Dermatologists, New York, NY, and select your insurance carrier and plan. Some websites even have reviews and ratings available in attention to
One thing to remember is, you want to find a doctor that can provide the best care. In some cases that can mean finding a doctor that may be further then you would of liked to travel or seeing someone that doesn’t take your insurance.
Advanced Dermatology Manhattan Locations:
Upper East Side
55 East 72nd Street
New York, NY 10021
Upper West Side
211 Central Park West, Suite 1D
New York, NY 10024
Our Manhattan locations are happy to serve the neighboring areas of the Upper East Side and Upper West Side in Manhattan.