What is Acne?
Acne is an inflammation of the sebaceous glands (oil glands) in the skin. This causes blackheads, pimples, papules, nodules and/or cysts. Sebaceous glands are everywhere in your skin, except in the palms of your hands and soles of your feet. This skin condition mainly occurs in places where there are many sebaceous glands, such as on the back and face (especially forehead and chin). Acne is one of the most common skin conditions. While acne is not a dangerous skin condition, it can have an important impact on your appearance and self-confidence. Fortunately, acne and acne scarring can be treated. Book a consultation with one of our expert Albertson Dermatologists for the right treatment in your specific situation.
What are the symptoms of Acne?
There are several types of acne, although typically people mainly suffer from blackheads. These can be gray or black when they are open, and white when they are closed and the skin fat (sebum) accumulates. These blackheads cause pimples and pustules. Scarring can occur as a result of acne, especially in severe forms. However, today scars are becoming less common because dermatologists can quickly suppress the inflammation of the skin in most people with severe acne.
The different forms of acne
- Pustules or Acne Vulgaris: when closed blackheads become inflamed. This is the most common form of acne.
- Acne Conglobata: when you also suffer from red, painful, inflamed bumps (nodules). The nodules have cyst-like characteristics and are usually located on the back, but can also occur under the skin.
- Acne Inversa (Hidradenitis Suppurativa): acne in the armpits and groin.
- Acne Fulminans: a very intense and rare form of acne that begins suddenly. Weight loss and muscle pain can also be associated.
- Acne Rosacea: red spots in the face, sometimes together with pustules.
- Baby Acne: can occur in newborns but typically clears up after a few weeks.
What causes Acne?
Usually, acne is caused by hormonal changes during puberty. This enlarges the sebaceous glands and produces more skin fat (sebum). In combination with dead skin cells, this excessive sebum production can clog the glands and lead to blackheads and pimples. Pimples stretch the skin on the spot until it bursts and causes a small wound. If the acne is severe it may even cause scars. Bacteria may also be a cause of acne, although the exact relation is still unclear. In addition to hormonal changes and bacteria, there may also be other causes for the development or worsening of acne pimples, such as:
- Genetic factors
- Cysts on the ovaries (Polycystic ovarian syndrome)
- Environmental factors
- Tight clothing, which puts pressure on the skin
What is an Acne treatment?
Advanced Dermatology offers several acne and acne scarring treatments in Albertson, Nassau County. Depending on the type of acne and general skin condition, acne treatments can significantly improve the skin and reduce scarring. Effective acne treatments include microdermabrasion, laser therapy and chemical peels. Book a consultation with one of our highly trained, certified dermatologists in Albertson to determine which treatment is most suitable for you.
Acne Consultation in Albertson, Nassau County
For more information about acne treatments, fill out the form below or call us at 718-857-7070 to schedule your consultation with a Albertson dermatologist. We will provide more information at our practice in Albertson, Nassau County.
ADDITIONAL ACNE LOCATIONS
Outside Albertson, Nassau County we also offer acne consultations elsewhere in New York and New Jersey: