If you have decided to have your lips enhanced you are on-trend. The quest for luscious, full lips is leading many people to the dermatologist’s office for cosmetic treatments. Safe and effective, injectable fillers can plump naturally thin lips, as well as reduce the signs of aging. Before you head to the doctor’s office here are some dos and don’ts to follow.
- Research, research, research! A cosmetic procedure can be a great way to feel more confident. Understanding the benefits and limitations of a lip enhancement will make it more likely that you will see satisfactory results. Take the time to learn about the different types of fillers for lips and ask your doctor questions about typical results.
- Find examples of the look you want, but be realistic about your expectations. Every face is unique, so the perfect set lips on your favorite celebrity or model may not fit with your features. Go for balance.
- See an experienced specialist. Although a lip enhancement treatment is a straightforward procedure, it doesn’t mean everybody has the necessary expertise. It is important to consult a knowledgeable medical professional who has been properly trained to administer the product.
- Gently ice your lips after injections. You can help reduce bruising and swelling by applying a cold pack to your lips. Remember to keep a light touch!
- Relax! The best thing to do after any treatment it to take easy.
- Schedule an important event too soon after your injection. It takes a few days for the post-injection swelling to go down. Minor bruising may also occur. If you have to be picture perfect, give yourself some buffer time.
- Take certain medications before your appointment. Aspirin, some vitamins, and blood thinning medications can increase the risk of bruising. Consult with your cosmetic dermatologist ahead of time to make sure you are best prepared for the treatment.
- Overdo the injections. While a competent injector will be able to accurately determine the amount of filler it takes to achieve best results, you won’t see final results immediately. After an injection, the lips are typically more swollen. The rule of thumb? Wait until the initial swelling has gone down before opting for another injection.
- Rub your lips after treatment. Dermal fillers are gel products, which can be unevenly distributed if disturbed. For more consistent and even results, avoid touching your lips for the first few days following your injections.
- Exercise too much or spend too much time in the sun. Exercise and excessive heat can increase blood flow, which can lead to more swelling. You can return to most of your normal activities directly after your treatment, but it is best not to do anything too strenuous. Consult with your doctor about post-injection care.
Your Lip Enhancement Treatment at Advanced Dermatology, NY, NJ
At Advanced Dermatology, our doctors use the latest techniques to add volume to your lips. Contact one of our conveniently located offices in New York and New Jersey today to schedule your appointment.