Ever heard of the Dermaroller, Dermapen or Dermastamp, if you have then you know typically they all do the same thing, whether motorized or manual these tools perform a treatment known as Microneedling. Advanced Dermatology P.C. has recently added the motorized microneedling tool Collagen P.I.N. to our list of treatments.
So what exactly is Microneedling?
Microneedling is a minimally invasive treatment that rejuvenates the skin by promoting the growth of new collagen and elastin. It achieves this by creating small holes in the skin allowing products to really penetrate the skin and gradually help repair itself over time.
As our skin ages collagen production tends to slow down leading to some serious skin concerns. Microneedling works to treat wrinkling, scarring, stretch marks, sun damage and even hair loss! A great benefit of microneedling is that it is minimally invasive which means most times patients can return to their normal activities almost immediately.
While there are at-home options for microneedling, it is in your best interest to seek professional help in doing this treatment especially because the skin is being punctured.
As mentioned before the treatment targets the skin concerns listed in the above picture. Areas of the treatment include:
How many treatments will really help?
Most times multiple treatments are required, 3-6 treatments are generally recommended. The exact amount of treatments will be determined by your physician and depends on the severity of your case.
What happens during the procedure?
- The physician will begin by numbing the treatment area about 45 minutes prior to the treatment. As the name suggests the needles are micro, which means you barely feel a pinch during the procedure – especially after the numbing agent is applied.
- When the face is completely numb a topical serum is applied to the skin. The topical agent most times contains hyaluronic acid (an ingredient typically associated with anti-aging products). By adding the serum before the treatment it helps to maximize the benefits of the product getting it deep into the skin.
- The physician then begins using the microneedling tool across the treatment area, puncturing the skin to create small wounds.
- After creating these tiny “controlled injuries” the body begins to produce new collagen and elastin to repair them.
- Advanced Dermatology offers a great post-care kit with products to further help repair and aid in the formation of new skin cells.
Directly after the treatment your skin can be moderately red, sort of what a mild sun burn would look like. Patients typically see results after just one treatment, about 1-2 weeks after their first treatment. Your skin reaps the benefits for months after the treatment. It is notable to mention that because the treatment is promoting natural collagen growth, results will gradually occur over time – it isn’t an instantaneous fix but your skin will be much better in the long run.
Before and After Photos (Images via Collagen P.I.N.’s social media accounts)
If you are interested in the Collagen P.I.N. treatment or have further questions, please feel free to contact our cosmetic hotline.