We want our patients to not only see the new things our doctors are doing, but also revisit some of the work they may have already seen.
Each week we will spotlight articles, videos and other work our doctors have taken part in. Many of our doctors have had the honor of being featured in articles on Yahoo, Forbes, NY Magazine, Health News Digest and more. They are considered experts in their field, making their opinions on dermatology, plastic surgery, and other fields of medicine valued.
This week’s spotlight will be on one of our newest doctor’s Sonoa Au M.D., who is receiving quite a bit of attention for her participation with an innovative procedure.
Who is Sonoa Au?
Dr. Au graduated from Cornell University and obtained her medical degree from Washington University in St. Louis. She completed her dermatology residency at University of Illinois at Chicago. Dr. Au is a fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology. With a special interest in laser and cosmetic dermatology, in addition to general dermatology, she has joined Advanced Dermatology as the laser and cosmetic fellow to pursue her clinical interests.
What is this new procedure?
ThermiVa, is an in-office, non-surgical procedure for labia and vaginal tightening. It contracts the tissues to a tighter bundle and encourages new tighter collagen production. The procedure focuses on:
- Vaginal Laxity: this will tighten the vagina at the opening and the full length of
the vagina that is noticeable to patient and partner.
- Vulvar/Labial Laxity: this will tighten the labial tissues and reduce sag and “Camel Toes.” It results in softer and smoother skin that is very noticeable. More comfort in tight clothing, less self-awareness in leotards and bikinis.
- Vaginal/Vulvar Dryness or Atrophic Vaginitis: this will add softer and thicker skin and more moisture both internally and externally to make daily life and sexual intercourse more comfortable without the use of hormones.
- Mild to Moderate Stress Incontinence: this will reduce accidents and leakage and may reduce urge symptoms. Along with Kegel Exercises women may avoid the use of mesh slings in their vaginas.
- Sexual or Orgasmic Dysfunction: may result in increased sensitivity, more coordinated and stronger muscular contractions, and ability to achieve orgasms in a shorter time period.
While Dr. Au has a special interest in laser and cosmetics, she is well-educated in general dermatology, as well. The following video from Real Self, Dr. Au explains how to treat rosacea, acne, and other conditions.