Shaving, waxing, hair removal creams–keeping the skin free of unwanted hair takes a lot of effort. If you have decided that it’s time to streamline your routine, laser hair removal may be the answer. After a series of sessions, laser hair removal can provide more permanent results, liberating your time and energy. Lasers can be used on most parts of the body, including the legs, bikini area, arms, underarms, and back.
To help you get the most out of your hair removal treatments, follow these tips before, during, and after your appointment.
Tip #1: Prepare for Your Appointment
Before you have a treatment, make sure your skin is in good shape.
- Stay out of the sun. You should always shield your skin from sun, but it is particularly important to avoid sunburns and tanning before a laser hair removal appointment. Consider scheduling sessions in the fall and winter.
- Shave a day before your appointment. Lasers penetrate the skin and target pigment in the hair follicle, not the hair itself.
Tip #2: Work with a Qualified Medical Professional
Laser hair removal is a medical procedure and should be done by a properly trained specialist.
- Be sure your laser specialist performs a patch test. An experienced medical professional will test a small area before proceeding with the full treatment.
- Focus on selected areas in a single session. If you are considering removing unwanted hair in multiple areas, it is best to schedule separate treatments. Exposing the body to too much laser energy in one session is not recommended. Talk to your doctor about the best way to plan your hair removal.
Tip #3: Maintain Your Skin Between Appointments
To optimize results, it is important to protect the skin and keep it healthy.
- You can shave regrowth, but not immediately after your appointment. After a single laser treatment, hair growth should be noticeably reduced. However, multiple treatments are usually necessary to achieve optimal results. Remember to give your skin a chance to recover from the laser treatment before shaving.
- Exfoliate the skin. Removing dead skin cells regenerates the skin and gives it a healthy glow.
- Moisturize regularly and use sunscreen. Keeping the skin hydrated helps it stay resilient and supple. Always protect the skin from harmful UV rays.
Tip #4: Schedule Your Appointments at Regular Intervals
Not every hair follicle is at the same stage in the hair growth cycle at any given time. For laser treatment to be effective, hair needs to be in its growth phase. To affect as many follicles as possible, multiple sessions are necessary.
- Book your appointments 4-6 weeks apart. Spacing your sessions about a month apart increases the efficiency of treatments.
- Plan to undergo about 6 sessions. The number of sessions needed will vary based on skin tone and hair density, but most patients see final results between 4-6 sessions.
Laser Hair Removal at Advanced Dermatology, NY and NJ
Going stubble-free has never been easier. At Advanced Dermatology, our skincare experts use the latest technology to remove unwanted hair. Contact one of our New York or New Jersey offices today to schedule a consultation. We are conveniently located in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island and Ridgewood, New Jersey.