The best way to keep your veins healthy and strong is by eating well. A healthy diet will keep your weight down, reducing pressure and strain on the veins that can cause venous conditions to occur. As you’re planning out your meals each week, know that there are certain nutrients that can be very helpful to your vascular health as well.
Here are 5 of the most essential nutrients for keeping your veins healthy and strong:
1. Fiber works wonders to keep your digestive system working well, but it also helps to keep cholesterol down, protecting your circulatory system. Having a high fiber diet helps prevent unhealthy fats from being absorbed into your body, reducing the risk of clogged veins and arteries.
2. Bioflavonoids are found in fruits and vegetables like leafy greens, dark berries, garlic and onions, and are responsible for their vibrant colors. These nutrients help to strengthen the walls and valves of your veins which can reduce pooling and blood leakage. Some bioflavonoids, like those found in cranberries and blueberries, can also help relieve swelling, aching and pain from varicose veins.
3. Vitamin C helps keep vein walls and arteries flexible by boosting collagen and elastin production. This means your veins will be more equipped to handle the pressure of blood flow without bursting, swelling or causing backflow due to damage valves. Experts recommend taking 500-1,000 milligrams of vitamin C three times a day to promote artery and vein health.
4. Vitamin E can help keep your blood from clotting and adhering to the vein and artery walls. This ensures that your veins will remain clear and open for blood to flow through freely.
5. Vitamin B3, or Niacin, is known for its ability to control and lower high blood pressure. Like fiber, Vitamin B3 keeps blood flowing well by reducing the potential for fatty plaques to clog veins and arteries. It has also been known to prevent atherosclerosis, stiffening of the artery walls.
Can you name any healthy recipes that incorporate ingredients containing these nutrients? We’d love to hear all about them on our Facebook page!
If you have any unsightly or painful veins that you would rather do without, Advanced Dermatology offers a wide variety of personalized vein treatment procedures to patients throughout Long Island, Queens, and the surrounding areas.