Acne Treatment / Acne Scarring Treatment
Acne occurs when sebum gets trapped in the pores. Bacteria then grow inside the pores, causing whiteheads, blackheads, cysts and/or pimples to appear. Acne scarring occurs as a result of inflammation or improper acne care, such as picking at pimples. Individuals with acne are often distressed by their appearance and may even avoid social interactions to prevent others from seeing their acne. The dermatologists at Advanced Dermatology, PC, offer treatments for both acne and acne scarring.
What Causes Acne?
While the exact cause of acne is unknown, it typically results from several related factors. These factors include puberty, hormonal changes related to pregnancy or birth control pills, and genetics. Certain cosmetics may also be associated with the occurrence of acne.
Acne may worsen as a result of many factors, including:
- excessively scrubbing the skin
- squeezing the affected area(s)
- pressure on the affected area(s) from clothing or bags
- overuse of skin care products
- environmental factors
- hormonal changes experienced during adolescence or by females 2 to 7 days before their menstrual periods
Can Infants Get Acne?
Many babies, typically boys, develop red pimples and whiteheads on their cheeks and nose within their first few weeks of life. This is a result of androgens (male hormones) circulating within their bodies. These hormones boost the production of oil in the baby’s underdeveloped oil glands, causing acne to appear. Infant acne usually subsides without treatment as the androgen levels naturally decline. Severe cases of infant acne can be treated with topical or oral medications.
How is Acne Treated?
The exact treatment method for acne varies depending on severity. Mild cases of acne can often be treated with over-the-counter medications such as benzoyl peroxide, resorcinol or salicylic acid. More severe cases of acne may require prescription medications such as antibiotics, retinoids, or Azelaic acid. Other treatment options include dermabrasion, microdermabrasion, corticosteroid injections, or laser treatment.
How Does Laser Acne Treatment Work?
The lasers used for treating acne penetrate the deep layers of the skin without affecting the surface. These lasers target the sebaceous glands responsible for the overproduction of acne-causing oils. Laser acne treatment may also minimize the appearance of scarring.
Does Laser Treatment Work on All Types of Acne?
How Many Treatments Are Required?
What Should I Expect During Laser Acne Treatment?
During a laser acne treatment session, you may experience mild discomfort. Patients often compare the laser to a rubber band snapping at the skin. This discomfort can be minimized with a topical anesthetic before treatment and applying ice to the treated area(s) afterwards.
Will Laser Acne Treatment Cause My Condition to Worsen?
Laser acne treatment aims to gently reduce the redness associated with inflammatory acne. If the factors associated with your specific condition change, your acne may worsen regardless of any treatments you are currently undergoing.
Schedule Your Acne Treatment Consultation Today
If you are suffering from acne, contact Advanced Dermatology today to schedule a consultation with our board-certified dermatologists.
The “Love Your Skin” show, hosted by Advanced Dermatology’s outstanding dermatologists, discusses various aspects of medical conditions of the hair, nails, and skin, and also covers cosmetic, laser dermatology and plastic surgery techniques and how they can better your skin’s health and appearance.
Scarring (Dr. Goldburt) Full Show
Before & After Results with Smooth Beam Laser
Before & After Results with Smooth Beam Laser
Acne Scarring: Before & After Results with Fraxel Laser
Acne: Before & After Results with Aura Laser
Before & After Results with Apogee Laser
Advanced Dermatology’s, Robert Ecker, M.D. speaks on Acne
Advanced Dermatology’s Robert Ecker, M.D. speaks with NASRF’s fellow on Acne
Acne Treatment video with SMOOTH BEAM Laser
Whitney Bowe, M.D., discusses acne and diet
Related Topics & Our Doctors in the News
- Tackling the Issue of Teen Acne
- Announcing the Latest Weapons in the War on Acne
- Surprising Acne Causes and Treatments: A Q&A with Renowned Acne Expert Dr. Whitney Bowe
- UNIQUE LASER TREATMENT GIVES ACNE AND SCARRING A “ONE-TWO PUNCH”: SmoothbeamTM offers non-ablative approach to reducing acne breakouts, plumping scars.
- ZAPPING ZITS: Expert Discusses Non-Medication Treatments for Acne.
- POTATO CHIPS, PIZZA, CHOCOLATE, PMS AND PIMPLES: Leading dermatologist Dr. Joshua Fox discusses common myths about skincare.
- TOO OLD FOR ACNE?
- TEENAGER’S QUESTIONS ABOUT ACNE.
- BLUE LIGHT FOR ACNE.
- VIEW MORE OF OUR DOCTOR’S IN THE NEWS ARTICLES
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- American Spa: Shades of Beauty
Our Patient Education Library
View Related Laser Pages
- SmoothBeam Laser for Acne and Acne SCarring
- Fraxel Laser Treatment for Acne Scarring
- Apogee Laser Treament for Acne