The new year brings plenty of opportunities to change your negative habits and stick to new year’s resolutions. For a happier and healthier year, you don’t have to make huge changes, making several small commitments can have a surprisingly positive impact on your life. From this point forward, just consider these ten simple steps to enhance the future of your complexion.
- Take your vitamins: While this may sound like a lecture, remember to adhere to a daily regime of vitamins and supplements. Regularly consuming vitamins B, C and D help clear the toxins from your body, contributing to clearer skin.
- Moisturize: Taking proper care of your complexion requires daily moisturizer, regardless of your skin type. The regime locks in water and strengthens your skin’s natural barriers. Just like your hair, your skin is thirsty and needs soothing nutrients to remain soft and supple.
- Get your beauty sleep!: Committing to at least seven hours of rest a night helps you eliminate bags, dark circles and allows your skin a chance to regenerate overnight. Catching an adequate amount of Zzz’s will help you look and feel better!
- Work it out: Regular exercise in the form of just thirty minutes a day makes you sweat, therefore releasing toxins which would normally clog your pores. Studies reveal a healthy workout routine lends a younger, glowing appearance to your skin.
- Hands off!: We know squeezing irritating blemishes can be therapeutic, but the bad habit spreads oil and wreaks havoc on your skin. Try to avoid picking at pimples, and instead thoroughly cleanse your face with a gentle soap and apply an acne reducer.
- Use SPF daily: Even during the winter, the sun’s harmful rays reach your sensitive skin putting you at risk for early aging, dark spots and even skin cancer. Massage on SPF moisturizer before going outside to keep your skin protected.
- Eat healthy: Say goodbye to excess sugar, which is collagen’s arch nemesis, and introduce an intelligent diet of healthy fats and greens into your diet. Olive oil and foods high in water content and antioxidants help create healthier skin from the inside out.
- Don’t smoke: This is an easy way to be victorious by meeting two resolutions in one fell swoop. Consuming nicotine actually destroys the gentle structure of your skin, leaving your features appearing droopy and unpleasant. Toss the cigarettes and say hello to fresher, smoother skin.
- Exfoliate: Regularly exfoliating at least once a week serves to slosh off dry skin cells and promote the growth of new ones. Healthy exfoliation also helps your skin properly absorb skin care products and look smoother and more supple.
- Maintain appointments: Schedule an annual check-up to ensure your skin is as healthy as possible.While making a commitment to your skin-care routine will help you look and feel better, it is important to see a professional regularly. We recommend visiting a dermatologist several times a year for skin related issues to maintain optimal overall health.
Please reach out to Advanced Dermatology today to schedule your consultation with one of our board-certified dermatologists.