If you have skin that looks very greasy and shiny, generally around the forehead, nose and t-zone areas, then you have an oily skin type. Oily skin can be very challenging. As you age it gets better. On the bright side, people who have oily skin tend to wrinkle less or not at all. Here is what you can do to avoid your face getting oily and shiny.
- Cleanse Correctly. Look for cleansers that contain salicylic acid as an ingredient. Salicylic aid helps to control oil production to avoid oily and shiny skin.
- DO NOT Over Cleanse. Cleansing is good but knowing how many times is essential. Washing or cleansing your face too often can dry the skin out but does not affect the oily production. As a matter of fact, cleansing too often will make your skin increase oil production to replace what was washed away. Those who have oily skin should cleanse once a day.
- Exfoliate. Exfoliation plays a huge role in oily skin types. It is important to exfoliate. Always look for an exfoliator that contains glycolic acid. Glycolic acid gently removes dead skin cells.
- Moisturize. Buying the right moisturizer is vital for oily skin types. Look for moisturizers that are oil free that do not clog pores. The most effective moisturizer for oily skin type must include hyaluronic acid as an ingredient. Hyaluronic acid is breathable and does not influence the oil balance but it will keep the skin hydrated.
- Sunscreen. Applying the right sunscreen is essential for oily skin types. Stay away from sunscreens that often clog pores. Use the gel or powder sunscreens to keep from clogging the pores. Sunscreen helps to maintain oil production and avoid over production of oil.