What is Perlane®?
Perlane® is an injectable cosmetic dermal filler that has been used to soften wrinkles and facial folds of patients across the world. It is also a popular filler for lip augmentation, facial depressions, and facial scarring.Perlane® is made from non-animal stabilized hyaluronic acid (NASHA) gel. This means that Perlane® contains no animal products. Since hyaluronic acid is a natural substance found in the skin and other tissue, there is no need for a skin test when using Perlane® filler.The hyaluronic acid in Perlane® supplements the body’s natural supply, which becomes depleted with age. Perlane® is biodegradable so its effects are not permanent. The results of a Perlane® filler treatment tend to last six months to a year. This is much longer than the typical results of collagen injections, which may only last three to six months.Unlike BOTOX® Cosmetic, Perlane® does not make you numb. Perlane® can be used in conjunction with BOTOX® Cosmetic, which neutralizes the muscles that create wrinkles, but Perlane® simply reduces the visibility of wrinkles and folds.
What areas of the face can be treated with Perlane®?
The hyaluronic acid in Perlane® can be used to improve the contour of facial skin and to reduce wrinkles, folds, scars, and other facial skin depressions.Common uses for Perlane® filler include:
- Wrinkle correction
- Diminishing worry lines, smile lines, crow’s feet, marionette lines at corners of the mouth, and smoker’s lines
- Lip enhancement
- Reducing the severity of nasolabial folds
- Chin augmentation
- Filling cheek depressions
- Redefining lip border
- Softening acne scars
Other, less common, uses for Perlane® filler include:
- Filling hollows under the eyes
- Creating a temporary eyebrow lift
- Correcting facial depressions caused by fat loss
- Softening the appearance of jowls
Restylane® vs. Perlane® Filler
Perlane® is primarily the same product as Restylane®, but Perlane® filler contains a larger concentration of hyaluronic acid. Because of this higher concentration of hyaluronic acid, Perlane® is usually used for larger folds, while Restylane® is better suited for smaller wrinkles or to maintain the results of a previous Perlane® injection.
Because of the differing levels of hyaluronic acid, Restylane® is less expensive than Perlane® filler.
RELATED TOPICS AND OUR DOCTORS IN THE NEWS
- Which Age-Defying Method Is Right for You?
- How to look your best during each decade of your life.
- FOR BEAUTIFUL LIPS, A HOST OF SIMPLE AND SPEEDY PROCEDURES IS AVAILABLE
- Injection Perfection?
- SKIN SIGNS OF AGING AND WHAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT THEM: Leading dermatologist Dr. Joshua Fox discusses symptoms & solutions.
- WRINKLE REDUCTION
- COSMETIC PLASTIC SURGERY PROCEDURES INCREASE.
- Skin Care in Your 40s
- FALSE EXPECTATIONS FOR COSMETIC PROCEDURES
- VIEW MORE OF OUR DOCTOR’S IN THE NEWS ARTICLES